|Brugger Funeral Homes founder, Adolph Brugger, directing a funeral for a child (circa 1900).|
|Our funeral coach in front of the original 9th Street funeral home.|
|Our old Packard Hearse in our courtyard with a WWII veteran that we received off the train who was a casualty in the line of duty (circa 1946).|
In 1894, A. Brugger & Sons was founded by a German immigrant, Adolph Brugger, at 449 East 9th Street in Erie. His goal was simple: to provide the people of the Erie area with simple, dignified, and affordable funeral services. That vision still remains our goal everyday at Brugger Funeral Homes & Crematory.
Over the years, 5 generations of the Brugger family have been proud to serve our community. In fact, since those early beginnings on Erie's lower east side over 20 members of the Brugger family have dedicated their life's work to the funeral business.
In its early years, our Ninth Street location was situated in the heart of the city, serving as a neighborhood funeral home until its closing in 2006. The present day main location of Brugger Funeral Homes & Crematory, located at 1595 West 38th Street was built in 1961. It was the first funeral home in Pennsylvania designed specifically for funeral needs. With flexible visitation rooms, and a floor plan to meet the needs of a family, it serves the southwest Erie population as well as the Millcreek, Fairview, McKean, and Summit Township areas. Totally remodeled in 1980, it continues to be one of Erie's finest funeral facilities. Further improvements include the addition of a lower level lounge, coffee bar, and children's room.
The Pine Avenue Branch of Brugger Funeral Homes & Crematory was completed in 1985. Like the prior facility, this funeral home was designed to consider the needs of the family and is wheelchair accessible. Large visiting rooms, some with adjoining private room for the family, provide a comfortable surrounding during this time of grief. This location was built to provide services to southeast Erie, Millcreek, Summit Township, Greene Township, Waterford, Wattsburg, Wesleyville, and Harborcreek.
In 2010 the Brugger family opened the Cremation Tribute Center. A first of its kind in the Erie area, the center was designed to give families peace of mind and convenience by assuring them that their loved one never leaves our care during the cremation process. Our on site Cremation Tribute Center is located at our Pine Avenue Branch Funeral Home.
Almost 121 years later, Brugger Funeral Homes & Crematory are even more dedicated to easing the pain of death for you and your family members. Today there are 4 partners: L.J. Brugger, Garett J. Brugger, Austin J. Brugger, and Carl R. Brugger.
Brugger Funeral Homes & Crematory enjoy a fine tradition and reputation in the Erie area. Since 1894 our funeral homes and crematory in Erie have served more families than any other. In fact, we have had services for over 44,000 people in Erie County since our opening. We're proud of this honor and have worked hard to achieve this reputation. It requires constant attention toward our goal - to provide families with services that are meaningful, appropriate, and affordable.